What is ADD/ADHD?
The terms ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) and ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) are often used interchangeably. For purposes of simplicity, I primarily use the term ADD on this website. ADD/ADHD can exist with or without hyperactivity. (E.g. A diagnosis can be “ADHD-Inattentive Type”, or “ADHD-Hyperactive Type”.)
ADD is a neurological, often inherited, disorder that interferes with sustained focusing and can affect impulse control.
It is often misunderstood as laziness or a lack of caring. Fortunately, professional attitudes about ADD have moved away from a moral model of labeling individuals with ADD as lazy or uncooperative to one of recognizing ADD as a matter of unique brain wiring. It is a very real challenge. Someone suffering from ADD can actually feel paralyzed at times as if they are up against a brick wall and cannot move ahead with action. Coaching provides a partner to help us through that "stuck" feeling - to pause and consider options for moving forward. It also provides a means of accountability for the client,
- Inability to stay in seat.
- Being late with assignments.
- Not completing tasks or projects.
- Making careless mistakes.
- Difficulty sustaining attention.
- Problems following instructions.
- Losing things.
- Being easily distracted.
- Being forgetful in daily activities.
- Fidgeting a lot.
- Acting as if driven by a motor (or feeling like a motor inside).
- Talking excessively.
- Difficulty waiting or taking turns.
Traditional Triad of ADD Subtypes, or Presentations:
- Predominantly Hyperactive/Impulsive
- Predominantly Inattentive
The Combined type is the most common.
ADD Coaching Can Help With The Following Issues:
- Career issues
- Studying and homework
- Executive Function (such as organizing, prioritizing, focusing, working memory, self-regulating action)
Benefits of ADD Coaching May Include:
- Increased efficiency!
- Less overwhelm!
- Enhanced self-esteem!
- Less clutter!
ADD Coaching can help adults of all ages, children, adolescents, and college students.
Note that I offer check-ins between coaching sessions via email, text, or phone calls, to help hold you accountable in pursuit of your goals.
Contact me today for a free consultation!